Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Release Me!!

I give up. I think the YW are suffering under my reign. Attendance and accountability have fallen to an all time low since I was put in as music director 4 years ago. As second counselor I just did what the president said. Now I'm the one who's supposed to know what to do. This must be that situation where the results of what I'm doing won't show up for years to come, once I'm long gone.
This comes from a situation that occurred on Sunday. I needed to get a count for the stake of how many girls planned on coming to the dinner prior to YW General Conference this Saturday. Complete silence. You could have heard the crickets chirping in the background. I was astounded that not one girl raised her hand. Where are the priorities??!! A couple of the comments I heard were "if I remember", "I've never watched Conference in my life, and I"m just fine." As far as the "if I remember" comment goes, that's laughable. There have been a couple of Saturday events this month where all of the YW conveniently forgot. Anyway, today I wrote a letter to all of the moms about what happened on Sunday to see if they could get their girls to come. But in my pessimism this is a long shot. The parents are 1/2 the problem being equally as inactive and irresponsible. And yet I've had some come to me with concerns about their girls not coming when they never come. I also sent them a copy of the activities for next month. I'm tired of being the parent. There are about 10 families in this ward who hold all of the positions of responsibility, and for the most part they are not the long time residents but the younger move ins like us. It's so frustrating. I work with amazing women with great ideas, but our guilt trips and reminders make no difference in increasing the level of responsibility in these girls. I hope our push to make them more responsible for their activities and class presidencies goes better than getting them to do the basic things their supposed to. I have my doubts.
On a happier note...look how cute my kid is on his 1st Easter Egg Hunt in his "My 1st Easter" shirt.

15 comments:

Matt "The Bull" said...

I hold my young mens leaders 100% accoutable for my current plight in life. Married in the temple 4 kids and a mortgage.

Jen said...

Who knows, after the (very nice) lecture the mia maids got from me on Sunday, I think some of them might just show. Glad you sent a letter - hopefully that will help! I was pretty blown away by the "I've never watched conference in my life" comment - and we're not just crazy - I took a poll and EVERYONE thinks Sunday's happenings are absurd!

Jen said...

Also, your kid was so cute on his 1st Easter Egg hunt! And your hair looks darling in these pics by the way!

Jess said...

I think the parents are more than just 1/2 the problem! I think the priorities for most girls their age boil down to clothes, texting, friends, and boys. It is up to the parents to get their priorities in order...which is sadly absent! It's not just Young Women's, it's every organization in this ward. It has nothing to do with you! I have served in Primary most of my life and I have never been in Primary where 90% of the time kids come with no prepared talk for opening exercises...even though a reminder was sent home the previous week. I'm sure you are doing a great job!

Erin said...

I, too, was sickened by Sunday. I felt the spirit so strongly telling me to stand up... my knees were shaking when I did, but I'm glad you all felt the same way. I never would have dared to miss something like that when I was a youth!!!! It isn't you, Andrea!!! It is a sign of the apathy of the youth in spiritual matters!!!

Unknown said...

Andrea, Your report to the stake would be zero or maybe 1. If you give up there will be noone to try to care for them. As others have said it isn't you. I also think that DVS is cute... :)

Kathleen said...

Andrea Jill, You know that I was in Young Women's for about 10 or more years in both wards. If I held myself responsible for the way some of the YW acted and/or turned out as adults (Wendy Heaps), I might as well cash it in right now.
You need to look at all the good that you do. The activities and programs you provide, the lessons, the encouragement and the spirit (which is very strong) that you bring to the program. You have so much to give and offer these girls, but you are not responsible when they don't show up... that is the parents' responsibility. Stop beating yourself up, You Are Amazing! I am so proud of you.

Unknown said...

This is Vaughn, (even though it says james) I've held lots of jobs and have found that very few people remember what activities they are supposed to attend. They work best if they are communicated to each girl and parent about 5 differnt ways including one eye to eye contact before it will start to stick in their minds. Eventually they will see how much effort you are putting in to make sure they know about it and might feel bad if they don't support you.

BugHunter said...

Is there anyone unclear on my thoughts on the apathy of this ward? If there is, I can come back and relate my tales as YM president.

Maybe it's time to move :D

Lance and Alayna said...

I can't say I know your woes, because in Relief Society, everyone participates. I am sure I will know soon enough.

Dylan, on the other hand, is super cute in his Easter shirt! He looks SO much bigger than when I just saw him a month ago! I can't wait to see him in May! (and you too!)

Anonymous said...

Those Young Women? I just want to pull my hair out! You are doing just fine. We all know the problems of the ward!

On a better not, Dylan is so cute!! So I just have to say...if I didn't know you and was looking at your blog, I think I would assume that your brother is the Daddy? There are tons of pictures with him, but no Bughunter? :)

Lance and Alayna said...

Hey, so who was the mystery skier? ;)

Andrea said...

You were the mystery skier. I don't have pictures of me skiing with long hair.

Kathleen said...

Yeah! I was right! It does my heart good that I can recognize my own children. he he he

Shantell said...

I too was blown away by the YW on Sunday. I am so glad that you wrote a letter. It is hard to try and get them to participate when their parents won't help. You are doing an amazing job!!

Dylan is the cutest and I love the pics of him and Wes too!