Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Team Jacob

No, I'm not talking about my brother-in-law. I'm talking about Twilight.
A couple days ago Jessica got me started and now it's consuming my life. At 11:30 last night I should have been sleeping (that made my morning mantra of "get your fat, lazy butt out of bed and go running" a little tougher), but instead I was looking for possible answers and conclusions that might occur in the 4th book.

This is going to sound like I didn't like the books, but I loved them and have read them several times. But there are some things that really bug me. Edward is fascinated by Bella because he can't hear what she's thinking, so he assumes that she has an original mind. She's actually not all that interesting all she thinks about is how much she loves him, how inadequate she is for him, and she wants to be a vampire. Then there's all Bella has to change to be with Edward, but I'll let Jess comment on that because it's all her crafty little mind which I totally agree with. And no matter how gorgeous Edward is (in my world he is unbelievably attractive), if all he had to do everyday was spend time with me I'd go nuts. His music doesn't appear to take enough time away from Bella. His lack of other interests is his major character flaw that makes him more unrealistic to me than being a vampire. I was also really bugged by Bella's "oh, poor me, there's a hole in me" nonsense. It lasted way too long and made me want to hurl. If I ever met someone like that I'd probably slap them.

Jacob has hobbies, like fixing cars, hanging out with the pack. His every second doesn't revolve around Bella no matter how much he loves her. So when they do spend time together it's quality time. With Jacob she doesn't have to change anything. She can continue to see her parents, grow up, have a family. They love each other with a love that seems more lasting.

After Bella's changed into a vampire who knows if she'll be the same person. She won't smell as good. She won't blush or look the same. While she and Edward will have all the time they can dream of, what if he decides he doesn't like babysitting her to keep her from eating people all the time. Half of their relationship is him being over-protective and she won't need him to be anymore because she won't be so breakable.

Anyway, I think she's be better off with Jacob in my practical mind which usually rules my heart. Really I'd rather be kissed by Edward, I really do enjoy the intensity of their relationship. Let me know if you're on Team Edward or Team Jacob and why. I'm sincerely interested since I'll be out of town over the 4th book being released.

8 comments:

Jess said...

Not that it needs to be re-said but I am team Jacob all the way. I think part of that is that I must be attracted to hairy men...Tim just might be a werewolf! So soft and cuddley. Ok, don't throw-up. I'm moving on.

I dislike that Edward does not treat Bella like an equal. Jacob tells her off and I love it and he knows she is strong enough for the truth.

About what she has to change to be a Cullen. To me Edward doesn't get the essence of Bella. She isn't flashy, she doesn't like parties, she likes to wear sweats. That never seems to be enough. He forces her to have parites and receive flashy gifts. She is okay with going to the college that she has enough money to pay for herself. He rags on her car and the first chapter of Breaking Dawn shows that she is uncomfortable in the new car he has bought for her. So not only does she have to give up her humanity but in lots of ways who she is in her core.

With all that said. This is a love story between Edward and Bella. She will end up with him and if it were real life I'd give the relationship 6 months! J/k. It is interesting to think what their relationship is if the protector role is taken from Edward. Sometimes I wonder if he loves protecting Bella more than Bella herself.

Like I told you before. I have a lot of Bella qualities so I sympathize with her in a lot of ways. The least of which is that I'm a wimp physically as you love to point out...only you say that I'm fragile (I'm thin but soft somehow!). Everything I have is because I worked my butt off for it...nothing has ever been handed to me and I couldn't stand someone trying to make me otherwise and I feel bad that Bella does.

I'd still make out with Edward.

Kathleen said...

We already talked about this, but my secret wish is that Bella dies. Yes, radical aren't I? I don't like her. Both Edward and Jacob are too good for her. If she becomes a werewolf, where is the lure for Edward? If she doesn't, and marries Jacob, poor Jacob has to put up with her whining and her pining for the bloodsucker. Bella is a whiner and whiners miss out on life in the meantime.

I think Edward is a fascinating character. He has more than his music, he is always going to school learning new things, he has close family ties, and he likes to "hunt" with his brothers. How is that different from Jacob hanging with his pack?

Jacob isn't as sophisticated, of course, he's a kid. What 16 year old wouldn't fall for an 18 year old? I think it's infatuation, not love, and Bella hangs with him by default. He's a friend, not a lover. Jacob would get the raw end of that deal!

Bella should just die and save both Edward and Jacob from a life of misery.

Lance and Alayna said...

As you well know sister, I am the opposite of you. I think with my heart instead of my logic. Therefore, I am team Edward. I do wonder if some of the intensity will be lost after Bella becomes a vampire though. I hope not. I think if they can get past the whole newborn phase for Bella, then they will live happily ever after. Although I feel sorry for Jacob getting his heart broken, I have to agree with mom that he just thinks he is in love with her and she only loves him as a brother, not a lover.

Erin said...

I am for Edward all the way. Jacob does not respect Bella. I think he thinks she is a prize to be won- the wolf in him. It makes me so mad how she asks him not to try to be anything more, and he always pushes the boundaries, knowing it hurts her. Edward is willing to step aside.

The psychological side of me says Bella needs her relationship with Edward because he is a sort-of father figure and protector. She has had to be the responsible one with her mom, and her dad is just there to eat what she cooks. She needs someone to take care of her. I can relate to her in this.

That said, I am afraid to read the 4th book because I don't want it to end a way I don't like! I will probably read the end first.

Kathleen said...

I'm sure that everyone figured out that I meant if she becomes a "vampire" not werewolf in my previous comment. (Note to self: Never proofread your own writing.)

Jenny Hart Turk said...

So you are probably gone to Lake Powell by now, so you won't get this for another week. I really enjoy your perspective of the book. I pretty much feel the same only that Jacob totally bugs me in the third book. I was so pro-Jacob in the second book because he was nice, and sweat. But the third book, he had such a bad attitude and he was so bratty when he pulled the whole 'I'm going to go fight and die so you better love me' thing. It just seems so manipulative to me and immature. So I'm pro Edward because he is always extremely patient, and always has Bella's best interest in mind. Ideally, that is what I would want to love me forever. Not an immature, bratty kid who is mostly lusting after Bella and truely doesn't have her best interest in mind but his own. Anyway, just my opnion. So we will see what happens....

Matt "The Bull" said...

I am only half way through eclipse. I can't see it.
She loves Edward.

Edwards got skillz

you ladies just like nice guys which is the biggest reason this is a Fiction. all the men out there who acually act like JAcob are DEAD or GaY.

Abbie said...

ANDREA!! I am so glad you found my blog! I have been trying to track down you guys for the longest time. I would love to get together sometime. Something even more odd...I was reading through your blog - your sis-in-law, Melissa. I grew up with her. She lived right down the street from me for YEARS! I actually just ran into her at Cold Stone on Saturday. You should ask her to do the "Hog-Dog" from Girls' Camp (if she hasn't already done it for you). Glad to see we aren't the only crazy LDS couple who waited(by choice and nature)6 years to have a baby. Dylan is amazing! SO CUTE!
Shoot me an email!
ADBarnett81@hotmail.com