Wednesday, September 24, 2008

STUPID! STUPID!! STUPID!!!

I am the biggest idiot on the planet. Sometimes I like to think it's naive ignorance, but let's call it what it is...stupidity.

Last night some guy came to the door offering to clean our carpet for free. Sounds good doesn't it? The little get in the door phrase was something like I have to clean 3 carpets/day for my company then they pay me. He hands me this bright green paper that I glance at and see Free carpet cleaning. Silly Andrea says so what if it's 8:30 come on in and clean my living room. (The only reason why this happened was because Wes was home, but on the phone. I wouldn't have opened the door to a stranger if I was home alone.) Anyway the deranged moron that I am ends up listening to the KIRBY SALESMAN!! until 10:00 that night. There was no way in H-E-double hockey sticks we were going to spend two grand on a vacuum cleaner regardless of how much dirt they demonstrate is in my carpet. I told them if they drop it to $200 I'll think about it otherwise I'm sorry they wasted their night with people who were not going to buy their vacuum ever. And to top it all off Wes decided he didn't like what they were going to clean the carpet with so we wasted an hour and half of our night with nothing to show for it other than my stupidity. Aaaaaaggghhhh! Then I couldn't sleep last night for kicking myself.

On the upside I spent the day with my 4 favorite nieces and nephew and Granan at Gateway, for some fun.

8 comments:

Jen said...

I am embarassed to even tell you how many of these deals Seth and I have sat through. Usually for the "free vacation" or other "Awesome" prize for letting them come in. Seth had one of them come in on Valentine's day a few years ago and they were here when I got home from work at 5:30 and didn't leave until he was leaving for work a few hours later. Great Valentine's memory, huh? Sorry you had to sit through it though. Such a bummer and 2 grand for a vacuum - rediculous!

Lance and Alayna said...

All I can say is turn down salesman nicely. After (unvoluntarily) becoming a telemarketer and working in sales, it is a lot easier when someone just says, "No thank you". Rather than hanging up, laughing, or just being rude. I realize it may be interrupting your day, but we are all just trying to make a living. At least be nice. But yes, you never should have invited him in. Isn't that how you got your first vacuum?

Kathleen said...

Talk to Dad and me about the $2,000 worth of "storm" windows we bought after listening to a salesman until after 11 PM at night during the first year of our marriage. DumB! Dumb! Dumb!

We have never done anything like it again. It is one of life's cruel lessons. Don't beat yourself up about it. We have all done it.

Matt "The Bull" said...

yeah, we did that ONCE.
what carpet do you have???

Anonymous said...

Shame, shame Andrea!! You know you won't do that again! I have to say that I am kinda mean to those people. I think that man came to my house too last week too. I didn't answer the door. ;)

Mike and Madelyn said...

Well, to make you feel better my parents did the same thing a few months ago, only the Kirby guy was there for like 4 hours and my mom ended up feeding him dinner. They still didn't buy it. $2,000 is insane!

Jenny Hart Turk said...

I love your story! I can't help but say I'm not suprised. But don't worry it's not stupidity, I just think you are innocent enough to think they meant well. Should we go with that? Anyway, I'd be pretty pissed too, but I would have been much meaner about it.

melissa smith said...

I have sat through that demo TWICE. I actually liked the vacuum. but it used to be 1500 for a vacuum. The thing I hate is they won't tell you the price upfront. My new motto is : The price must be in bold upfront before you come in my house. I also thought the whole black napkin see all the dirt was miraculous. However now with the clear self dumping vacuums. I can see that my twenty dollar crap vacuum picks up a lot of dirt too.