Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Poker Face

So in sacrament meeting on Sunday the scouts were reporting on scout camp. The first kid gets up and pretty quick off mentions how this year he brought chips for the poker game. I'm not offended by this, but I know plenty of people who would be.

Next up is a leader who mentions how he feels privileged to have been invited to the poker game. Really, so you were endorsing this?!?! It's one thing to know it's going on, perhaps say, "You know President Hinckley counseled against this?" Then leave them to make their own decisions. But maybe you shouldn't play with them.

The next leader, the YM Pres, gets up and says, "Don't worry. It wasn't poker. It was Texas Hold'em." So perhaps we can say he was innocent of the transgression, because he didn't realize that Texas Hold'em was poker.

Personally, I think this is what should go on at scout camp. You're supposed to do contraband things. Especially, if no one gets hurt. And we were assured by the first kid that no money was exchanged, just chips. No harm, no foul. But I can imagine there are going to be some folks busting down the bishop's door for this.

2 comments:

Lance and Alayna said...

I don't know about the poker chips. If they had used Starburst, I might be okay with it. ;)

Jen said...

This is hilarious! 5th Sunday lesson in the near future? lol!