I have strong desires to do very stupid/dangerous things. Luckily, there is a rational side that stops me.
This last summer while almost 5 months pregnant, I was going nuts from no
t being able to do any water sports. I talked my dad into letting me go on a large, hard-to-flip tube in a straight line so I wouldn't fall off. It would be safe, and my mom wasn't there to prevent it. (She claimed that lifting a wakeboard was endangering my child's life.) My best friend Jenny and I were out there talking because it really was a boring ride, when I asked her if she ever had said irrational impulses. She thought I was pretty odd when I told her I really wanted to stand up and do a backflip off of the tube at the 20mph we were probably going. Again, I didn't do it. I just really wanted to.
t being able to do any water sports. I talked my dad into letting me go on a large, hard-to-flip tube in a straight line so I wouldn't fall off. It would be safe, and my mom wasn't there to prevent it. (She claimed that lifting a wakeboard was endangering my child's life.) My best friend Jenny and I were out there talking because it really was a boring ride, when I asked her if she ever had said irrational impulses. She thought I was pretty odd when I told her I really wanted to stand up and do a backflip off of the tube at the 20mph we were probably going. Again, I didn't do it. I just really wanted to.
The most recent of these impulses is to throw my 6 week old son onto the bed to see if he'll giggle and think it's fun. First if all, he doesn't really giggle yet. Occasioonally we can coax a smile out. Fear not concerned readers, I did say that a rational side stops me.Probably my most common impulse is to turn left into on coming traffic to see who will stop and if I can get by unscathed.
These impulses seem situational, so while I know I have more, these are just a few examples. I can tell you that the ones I have acted upon do end badly. I think my mom once told me this is a byproduct of ADD, but I wasn't really paying attention.
7 comments:
You scare the living daylights out of me just talking about your impulses! I think this is one of those mom things where it is better NOT to know and to live in denial about your child's unwise choices, or almost choices. At least you have some inclination toward self-control. Definition of self-control: Knowing that you can, but deciding you won't.
Hey,
Baby boy is getting cuter by the Day! We need to hang out. Hey are we still gonna run the SL half Marathon.
Let me know! Love ya!
See...this is why I like you. You're everything I'm not. I wouldn't know impulsive if it bit me in the butt. I stew and worry about everything. As you know. You and me are like sweet and sour!
He is so cute!! He looks so much like his dad and that hair is awesome!
I have an impulse to jump.
on the deck at the top of a cruise ship or on the top floor of a really tall building. I am soo afraid of falling that I almost want to jump to get it out of the way.
the bull
It's really really scary when I am the "sane" one of any given group.
Sweet little boy! Glad to see you have a blog up and running. It can now add to my blog peruse enjoyments!
Post a Comment