Monday, October 19, 2009

The Bed

Dylan's crib was needing an overhaul. So we just took it down and stuck him in the toddler bed M&M gave us. He loved it. He was so excited about it. Then I bought the car bedset, and he was over the moon. For the 1st week he would go in his room by himself and close the door to lay on his bed. Not to nap, just to spend time there. If I would open the door to see how he was (he can't open the door himself), he would get upset, kick me out, and close the door again. I was thinking that this phase didn't start until he was a teenager. Only then would he be too cool for his mom to come in his room. Not before he was two!

Then, a bad thing happened. He stopped taking afternoon naps. I've loved that he's taken 2 naps/day for the last year. So I decided, since I'm the mom, that if he was only going to take 1nap/day it was going to be after lunch. This has been a rough transition since I worked a bunch unexpectedly last week before he was secure in this new schedule. Now it turns out that if I set up the pack-n-play for naps he'll go to sleep in a reasonable amount of time, but it's a ridiculous procedure to have to go through for a nap. Instead of playing in his room for 2 hours with no toys. He still goes down to sleep in his bed at night without a peep.

Getting my kid to sleep has never been so frustrating.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a big boy! I want to see a picture of him with his new bed! I bet it's so cute!

BTW, do you know what you're having yet?

Shantell said...

I was always jealous of his two naps! That is so funny that he kicks you out of his room. Asher is still in his crib. He has never even attempted to climb out so I guess we will give it a few more months.

Jen said...

Yeah...it pretty much only gets worse from here! :) Morgan has always been a great napper, and sadly, I still set up a kid tent and safety pin the zipper for his naps on days when he won't just go to sleep in his bed!

Erin said...

When Eason stopped napping I still made him have "quiet time" in his room for a half hour. I needed MY nap! :)

Abbie said...

I am glad Bonnie isn't the only one who has had a hard time transitioning nap time in the toddler bed. Sad day...